st: datelist

From   Roger Newson <>
Subject   st: datelist
Date   Fri, 04 Feb 2005 19:35:27 +0000

Fellow Statalisters (especially StataCorp):

I am considering re-releasing my -datelist- package (downloadable from SSC) under a new name. The -datelist- command is a version of the -numlist- command which creates a list of dates in the returned result -r(numlist)-. The reason I want to rename it is that the name -datelist- has now been commandeered by StataCorp to describe a numlist with dates. I found this out when I typed

whelp datelist

and found some online help about the new -datelist- facility, as yet undocumented in the hardcopy manuals. According to this online help, it is now legal to have dates in a numlist, but you cannot create lists of dates in shorthand. For instance, if I want a list of dates from 01sep1922 to 01sep1952 separated by intervals of 90 months, then I must still use my own -datelist- package, as in the command

. datelist, first(01sep1922) last(01sep1952) unit(month) nunits(90)

and then refer to -`r(numlist)'-.

For the moment, it is possible to type

. findit datelist

and get to a copy of -datelist.hlp- from there, at least if the required internet connections are working. However, I would prefer my package to have a name of its own, if I am still going to need it in the long run. Are there plans to commandeer the name -listdate-? And, if so, are there any other names that Stata doesn't want that I might use?

Best wishes (and thanks in advance)

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
Department of Public Health Sciences
King's College London
5th Floor, Capital House
42 Weston Street
London SE1 3QD
United Kingdom

Tel: 020 7848 6648 International +44 20 7848 6648
Fax: 020 7848 6620 International +44 20 7848 6620
or 020 7848 6605 International +44 20 7848 6605

Opinions expressed are those of the author, not the institution.

* For searches and help try: