RE: st: RE: Simulation question

From   "FEIVESON, ALAN H. (AL) (JSC-SK) (NASA)" <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Simulation question
Date   Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:44:18 -0600

One convention that I like, is that if a variable is set by design in a
prospective study, it is "independent". If a variable is observed and is the
measure upon which one desires to do statistical inference, it is a
"dependent variable". If is observed or measured in conjuntion with the
dependent variable, but is not a "dependent" variable it is a "covariate".

Al Feiveson

-----Original Message-----
[]On Behalf Of David Kantor
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 11:05 AM
Subject: RE: st: RE: Simulation question

I, too, like terminology such as response/predictor/covariate.  But we
usually use "outcome" in place of "response".

Then we often analyze family economic data, and we find ourselves in the
paradoxical situation where our outcome is income.

-- David

At 08:46 AM 2/3/2005 -0800, John Wallace wrote:
>I too prefer the response/predictor/covariate terminology.  Sometimes
>someone will ask if "response" means "independent" - that's as much
>conflict as I've ever encountered over it.  I like terms that sort of
>have their definitions built into them.

David Kantor
Institute for Policy Studies
Johns Hopkins University