Re: st: Offset option in Svylogit and Svyologit

From   "Carol Carstens" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Offset option in Svylogit and Svyologit
Date   Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:40:43 -0500

What is meant by "a mean assumed to be directly proportional to the
covariate"?

If the mean of my dependent var = .43, am I to assume that as
individual scores fall over or below the mean, the covariate's value
changes likewise (over or below its own mean or the mean of the dep
var)?

How do I test the assumption that the mean of my dep var is directly
proportional to a covariate?

Carol

>>> [email protected] 01/31/05 12:15 PM >>>
>What does the offset option in svylogit and svyologit calculate?  I
can
>find no information about how a variable entered as "offset" is
handled
>by the resulting regression model.

An offset refers to a covariate which is included in the model but
with a coefficient constrained to be equal to one.  For example, this
is useful when modeling a dependent variate whose mean is assumed to
be directly proportional to a covariate (e.g., total exposure to the
risk of some event).

-- Phil