st: RE: saving contents of macros

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: saving contents of macros
Date   Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:05:46 +0100

Michael,
that's not easy to do. To my knowledge no command exists to list the
globals and locals
ready for processing; -macro list- does not leave anything in r().
However, you could try a work-around with tempvars:

forvalues i = 1(1)20 {
	tempvar m`i'
	// Assign your values
}
This may work only in a limited number of cases.
One may conceive of other work-arounds. The least convenient one may be
to -macro list-
the macros, copy the output from the results window, paste it into
some text file and then read in this text file, separating macro names
from their values.

Storing itself is easy:
You write the macros to a text file, which you later may read in.

To write, something like this should work (excerpted from the code of my
-rfl-,
where I have to store some values between Stata sessions):

	tempname rfllog
	file open `rfllog' using `"`:sysdir PERSONAL'rfl.log"', write
text replace
	file write `rfllog' "`strucversion'" _n
	file write `rfllog' "`hidemenu'" _n
	file close `rfllog'

To read, try something along these lines:

	tempname rfllog
	file open `rfllog' using `"`:sysdir PERSONAL'rfl.log"', read
text
	file read `rfllog' line
	local strucversion `line'
	file read `rfllog' line
	local hidemenu `line'
	file close `rfllog'

Instead of known macro names, take `m`i'' and put them in a forvalues
loop, or
do further processing with the lines to separate names from values.
The tempvar solution implies that you know what m`i' denotes after
you've read in the file...
Don't know whether this really suits your problem, but I hope it helps.
Dankwart Plattner

Michael Ganz wrote:
Hello,

I've looked high and low but I can't find anything on this:
Is there a way to save the contents of all of the global and local
macros
currently in memory to a file so that they can be restored later after
restarting Stata?

Thanks,
Michael
Disclaimer
Die in dieser E-Mail und den dazugehoerigen Anhaengen (zusammen die "Nachricht") enthaltenen
Informationen sind nur fuer den Adressaten bestimmt und koennen vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich
geschuetzte Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie die Nachricht irrtuemlich erhalten haben, loeschen
Sie die Nachricht bitte und benachrichtigen Sie den Absender, ohne die Nachricht zu kopieren oder
zu verteilen oder ihren Inhalt an andere Personen weiterzugeben.

Ausser bei Vorsatz oder grober Fahrlaessigkeit schliessen wir jegliche Haftung fuer Verluste oder
Schaeden aus, die durch virenbefallene Software oder E-Mails verursacht werden.
Disclaimer
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments (together the "message") is intended
for the addressee only and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you have
received the message by mistake please delete it and notify the sender and do not copy or
distribute it or disclose its contents to anyone.

Except in case of gross negligence or wilful misconduct we accept no liability for any loss or
damage caused by software or e-mail viruses.