Re: st: RE: Re: extracting tables from stata

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Re: extracting tables from stata
Date   Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:52:07 +0100

Branko Milanovic wrote:
> Why is it that when I download some of the files the .hlp files
> sometimes come in smcl format which is really useless (rather than as a
> neat text to be read in Notepad). What should I do? Can I convert smcl
> into text? (setting "set logtype text" does not help; i.e it helps only
> when you export your own stata stuff into a text file).

SMCL is the standard for help-files, and they cab be read  with the
Stata-Command -view filename-. If you have installed an ado-package in a
directory of the adopath you can also use -help command-, which is in fact
the common way to read these files. SMCL has the advantage to have hyperlinks
and colors, and it is also better than simple ASCII for displaying the
contents in windows of variable width.

SMCL-files are still text-files in a way.  However you can delete all
SMCL-tags from the help files with -translate-

. translate <filename>.hlp <filname>.txt, translator(smcl2txt)

which would make them more readable in Notepad.

regards
uli