st: RE: Re: statalist-digest V4 #1868

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: statalist-digest V4 #1868
Date   Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:01:08 -0000

Joseph Coveney has illustrated a way of
doing this. Here is a slightly more
Stataish version of that:

use auto.dta, clear
ologit rep78 price turn
forval j = 1/`e(k_cat)' {
	tempvar pre
	local prelist "`prelist' `pre'"
}
predict `prelist'

Here there is no need to initialise
the macro prelist, which is born empty.
(That would not be true if it had been
used earlier in the same program.)

Also, if you say

tempvar pre

Stata is not fussed if you said that
previously. `pre' will always refer
to the last temporary variable defined
in that way. Naturally, you need to keep track
of previous names, but that is what is being done here.

Mike Lacy