RE: st: Corrupt display of helpfiles in the Viewer

From   "Steichen, Thomas J." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Corrupt display of helpfiles in the Viewer
Date   Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:40:27 -0500

The problems reported about Ben Jann's jmp.hlp file
do not appear to be a viewer problem; rather, they
appear to result from a formatting problem within
the help file.  The "Examples" section of the file
is formatted as follows:

----------------------------------
{title:Examples}

{p 4 4 2} Decomposition of the gender wage gap using the residuals/prices
of the male model as benchmark:

        {com}. regress lnwage educ exp exp2 if sex==1
        . estimates store male
        . regress lnwage educ exp exp2 if sex==2
        . estimates store female
        . jmp male female, statistics(mean median)

{p 4 4 2} ... subdividing the quantity effect Q between education and experience:

        {com}. jmp male female, blocks(educ=educ, exp=exp*)

{p 4 4 2} ... using a the average residual distribution and the prices of
a pooled model as benchmark:

        . regress lnwage educ exp exp2 if sex==1 | sex==2
        . jmp male female, ref(.)
-----------------------------------

I suspect the first error is in the accidental substitution
of {com} for {cmd} to format "command" language above.
Secondly, even if {com} had been a viable substitute for {cmd},
it is not structured correctly.  The correct general form is:
  {directive: text to be formatted}
That is, a brace followed by the directive, followed by a colon,
followed by the text to be formatted, followed by a closing brace.

Substituting {cmd} for {com} and formatting it correctly,
as below, results in proper display in both the Stata Results
Window and Viewer.

-----------------------------------
{title:Examples}

{p 4 4 2} Decomposition of the gender wage gap using the residuals/prices
of the male model as benchmark:

        {cmd:. regress lnwage educ exp exp2 if sex==1}
        {cmd:. estimates store male}
        {cmd:. regress lnwage educ exp exp2 if sex==2}
        {cmd:. estimates store female}
        {cmd:. jmp male female, statistics(mean median)}

{p 4 4 2} ... subdividing the quantity effect Q between education and experience:

        {cmd:. jmp male female, blocks(educ=educ, exp=exp*)}

{p 4 4 2} ... using a the average residual distribution and the prices of
a pooled model as benchmark:

        {cmd:. regress lnwage educ exp exp2 if sex==1 | sex==2}
        {cmd:. jmp male female, ref(.)}
------------------------------------

Tom

Thomas J. Steichen
  Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. - Aldous Huxley

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any  attachment(s),
contains information that may be confidential,  protected by the attorney-
client or other legal privileges, and/or  proprietary non-public
information.  If you are not an intended  recipient of this message or an
authorized assistant to an intended  recipient, please notify the sender by
replying to this message and  then delete it from your system.  Use,
dissemination, distribution,  or reproduction of this message and/or any of
its attachments (if  any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and
may be unlawful.