st: Re: question about converting string vars to numerical vars

From   Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: question about converting string vars to numerical vars
Date   Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:53:29 -0800 (PST)

Joy,

You can also use the command -destring- to convert string variables
to numeric variables. The encode entry in the Stata Reference Manual
states: "Do not use encode if varname contains numbers that merely
happen to be stored as strings; instead use generate
newvar=real(varname) or destring."

Friedrich Huebler