Re: st: RE: data manipulation

From   Simon Moore <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: data manipulation
Date   Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:47:45 +0000

Thank you all for your very quick and easy to follow replies!
Simon

Frank de Libero wrote:
In addition to David's response, the format below is in First Normal
Form (1NF), which is preferred. An Internet search on "First Normal
Form" will get you further information.

..Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Simon Moore
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 7:21 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: data manipulation

I am to work with some data that has been inputted in SPSS in a rather unusual format. Transferring from SPSS into Stata is not the problem - rearranging the data into a format I am comfortable with is. At the moment it looks something like this:

id date time person_id Gender Injury

1 21/1/2005 23:10 1 M Face
. . . 2 M Head
. . . 3 F Legs
2 23/1/2005 04:15 1 M Arms
. . . 2 F Feet
3 23/1/2006 05:10 1 F Face

The data refers to violent incidents in a particular area. For each incident more than one person (the maximum is somewhere around 6 but could go higher as new data arrives) may have been involved each sustaining different injuries.

I would like to rearrange these data into a form something like this:

id date time gender1 injury 1 gender2 injury2 ...

As far as I can see -collapse- will not help me much. So, has anyone had experience with this type of problem and could you point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Simon Moore
*
* For searches and help try: