st: RE: Precission problems with -cumul-

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Precission problems with -cumul-
Date   Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:53:36 -0000

I don't know, but I can make a guess, knowing that if I am
wrong someone can improve on my guess. (According to Karl Popper,
this is the essence of scientific method.)

I guess this is purely historic. The intent of -cumul-, introduced
in Stata 3.0, was always, at least primarily, as a preprocessor to
allow plots of the cdf. For graphical purposes, -float- is surely
adequate.

I guess also that it has taken this long -- from 1992 to 2005 --
for someone to say that in fact precision does matter to them
here. (Perhaps others found the same thing, but just did the
calculations themselves from first principles.)

I guess also that StataCorp will oblige you and make the tweak in an
ado update sooner or later.

Jann, Ben