st: Telling Stata what computer I am on

From   Kieran McCaul <[email protected]>
To   "Statalist (E-mail)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Telling Stata what computer I am on
Date   Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:20:15 +0800

I work on two computers: one a desktop and the other a laptop.  The desktop
was setup with the hard-disk partition into C: and D: drives and my data and
programs are stored on the D: drive.

My laptop, however, has only a C: drive.  Therfore, if I write programs on
one they will not run on the other unless I change the C: to D: or visa
versa.

So I now put a global macro at the top of my programs to store the alternate
directory names something like this:

*DESKTOP
global thesisdata "D:\My Documents\Thesis\Analysis 2003\Setup"
global thesis "D:\My Documents\Thesis\Analysis 2003\Incidence - Histology
analysis"
*LAPTOP
*global thesisdata "D:\Thesis\Analysis 2003\Setup"
*global thesis "D:\Thesis\Analysis 2003\Incidence - Histology analysis"

Now to run a program on my laptop I would remove the * from the two LAPTOP
lines and add them to the two DESKTOP lines.

I occurred to me that perhaps Stata could tell which computer it was running
on.  If that were the case, I could re-write my code above so that Stata
automatically assigned the correct macro.

I have found the c-class functions that store operating system information,
but there is nothing in these that is different between my two machines.

Are there any undocumented c-class functions that could help, or does anyone
else have a different idea that might work.

Thanks, Kieran

Kieran McCaul
Senior Lecturer
Dept of Epidemiology and Biostatistics