st: Mann-whitney U test

From   Ricardo Ovaldia <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Mann-whitney U test
Date   Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:35:35 -0800 (PST)

Dear _all;

I remember few years ago, there was a discussion on
the list about whether the Mann-whitney-wilcoxon test
in Stata was testing the null that the medians from
two distributions where equal, or it was really
testing that the the degree of overlap between the two
distributions was equal. i.e. equality of
distributions.

I recall that it was concluded that test was not
medians but of distributions. I looked through the
archives but could not find the tread. Does any one
recall this discussion or can offer an opinion on this
topic? Textbooks and other sources refer to this test
a a test of medians, are they wrong?

Thank you,
Ricardo.

=====