st: RE: RE: Data management problem: unique combinations

From   "riteshm" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Data management problem: unique combinations
Date   Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:53:53 -0800

Thank you!

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 3:06 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: Data management problem: unique combinations

-egen, group()- maps all combinations
that occur in your data to integers 1 up.

If you want all possible combinations
to be coded systematically, you need
some binary representation. Assuming
that -var1- to -var5- are coded 0 or
1 this could be

gen comb = 16 * var1 + 8 * var2 + 4 * var3 + 2 * var4 + var5

or something producing a corresponding string.
Often the latter is more transparent. There is a
corresponding -egen- function -base()- in the
package -egenmore- on SSC.

riteshm