st: clogit: two questions

From   Julia Gamas <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: clogit: two questions
Date   Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:24:57 -0500

Dear all,
I have two questions about clogit: one, about whether or not I "fed" the data
correctly to Stata, the second, about the sign on my coefficients.  I do
appologize if there is a simple answer that I overlooked.

1.  I've "fed" data that is alternative specific to find the choice=1 of using
private transportation versus choice=0 of using public transit.  I have
sociodemographic variables and generic variables too, but my concern is with
the alternative specific variable of mode cost.  The format I used was the
following for all ID's, can anybody tell me if this is wrong and if so, how to
fix it (I couldn't find more information in the Stata manual that might help).

Id  Mode  Choice    Car-Cost     Public-transit-Cost
32  1        1       120          0
32  2        0         0         20

Did I do the right thing by putting in the cost of using a car when the mode is
a car and zero in car cost when the mode is public?

2.  I obtain a POSITIVE coefficient from public transit cost.  My interpretation
is that the more public tranist costs, the less we are likely to want to use it
and we may substitute to a car.  I interpret this assuming that the model is
estimating V1-V2 (utility of driving - utility of using public transit) as in
the logit equations.  This would imply that the coefficient for public transit
cost is negative in the utility of using public transit, but changes sign to
positive when we subtract that utility from utility of driving.  I wanted to
check with you if this interpretation is correct, or do I, in fact, have the
wrong sign?

Any help you can give me would be immensely appreciated.

Sincerely,

Julia A. Gamas
Mexico City Project, EAPS
77 Massachusetts Avenue 54-1823