st: Re: reporting variables in a table

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: reporting variables in a table
Date   Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:18:02 -0500

The issue here has nothing in particular to do with Stata. There are two kinds of fonts: monospace (like an old typewriter; Courier used to be the default typeface on IBM Selectrics) and proportional space. Tabular data will generally require the use of a monospace font in a word processor unless the WP has the intelligence to align decimal points, etc. (as does LaTeX). If you examine the Stata Journal listings of Stata logs (produced by LaTeX) you will note that a monospace font is used there to ensure alignment.

But if you take any tab-delimited information that is meant to be a table and display it in, e.g., Times New Roman in Word, it will probably not look very good. Monospace fonts or "decimal tabs" are generally needed to deal with that in the context of Word.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html