Re: st: competing hazards models with stata?

From   Jesper Sorensen <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: competing hazards models with stata?
Date   Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:02:02 -0500

Assuming that your setup meets all of the standard assumptions for modeling competing risks (eg that they're not interdependent), then you can do this by simply estimating rate models for each of the events separately -- ie first model event A treating event B as a censoring event (along with other forms of censoring), and then model event B, treating event A as a censoring event.

Alternatively you can use TDA (transition data analysis) http://steinhaus.stat.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/tda.html

//Jesper

I need to estimate a survival-type model (either a Cox model or a
parametric model will do) with two competing hazards. Is there any way to
do this with stata so that I would get a two coefficients for each
independent variable, ie, one for each of the two hazards? (what I need
could be viewed as a survival equivalent of a multinomial logit model).

If yes, I would then like to even do something a little more complicated,
because one of the hazards can repeat while the other can happen only once
(like the medical studies where someone can contract an illness many times
but only die once).

Any insight would be appreciated. Also, if not stata, might there be any
other packages that could do this?

cheers, Arturs

Arturs Kalnins
Assistant Professor
Department of Management and Organization
Marshall School of Business
Bridge Hall 307H
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0808