st: RE: How to use [metan] for theta & se(theta)?

From   "Steichen, Thomas J." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: How to use [metan] for theta & se(theta)?
Date   Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:13:39 -0500

Garrard, Wendy M. writes (in part):

> I am having difficulty using the metan command, both from the
> command line and from the (installed) dialog screen.
>
> I have a standardized mean difference effect size for theta,
> and the standard error for se(theta).  I also have an inverse
> variance weight, if that is needed.
>
> Following the directions on the metan dialog screen, I have
> entered the basic command [theta] and [se(theta)] as:
> 	. metan ES se_ES
> And get an error that "too few variables" are specified. To
> resolve this, I have tried various ways of entering the two
> variables (e.g., with and without the comma), and entering
> variables in most of the other fields on the dialog screen
> (e.g., specifying my inverse variance weight in the [weight]
> field; selecting Cohen's d, specifying random effects, so
> on), but continue to get a range of errors. I have looked up
> quite a few articles and help files on metan, but so far all
> examples use binary data, or other approaches besides the
> Effect and se_Effect variables to compute the meta-analysis stats.

Wendy,

The ability to analyze effect size data was added in metan v1.5
and is also in v1.85. Your error message strongly suggests you are
using an earlier version of metan or that your variables are not
named ES and se_ES.

The metan dialog supports v1.85 (and notes that on the main tab
header).

You can find out which version of metan you have by entering the
following command on the Stata command line:

  which metan

If your version is not 1.85, you can update it via command:

  ssc install metaaggr, all replace

Then, assuming your variable names are as you list above, your
command should work.

Tom

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any  attachment(s),
contains information that may be confidential,  protected by the attorney-
client or other legal privileges, and/or  proprietary non-public
information.  If you are not an intended  recipient of this message or an
authorized assistant to an intended  recipient, please notify the sender by
replying to this message and  then delete it from your system.  Use,
dissemination, distribution,  or reproduction of this message and/or any of
its attachments (if  any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and
may be unlawful.