Re: st: Random effect estimation

From   Mark Schaffer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], Dawit Lidia <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Random effect estimation
Date   Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:08:09 +0000 (GMT)

Menale,

Quoting Dawit Lidia <[email protected]>:

> Hi ALL,
> I say Merry Christmas for those who celebrate Christmas.
>
> I have two questions as usual.
>
> 1) Can we use random effect estimation when the some of the coefficients
> of the between and fixed effects estimators differ (xtreg, be and
> xtreg, fe)?

This is what the Hausman test is for.  In fact, the Hausman test of (a)
fixed vs. random effects, (b) between vs. random effects, and (c) fixed
effects vs. between, are all the same test.  See Baltagi, Econometric
Analysis of Panel Data, chapter 4.

> 2) If hausman specification test rejected the fixed effects model, does
> this mean that all regressors in the model are not correlated with
> unobserved  effects? Or is there a possibility for one or two regressor to
> be correlated even if hausman test favour random effect.

The first problem here is that you've got things backwards: in the standard
setup, the fixed effects model is consistent under the null and the
alternative, whereas the random effects model and the between estimator are
consistent under the null only.  If the Hausman test says "reject", it means
that the random effects estimator and the between estimator are being
rejected, not the fixed effects estimator.

With respect to your specific question, you can use an artificial-regression
version of the Hausman test for tests of specific regressors.  See
Wooldridge, Econometric Analysis of Cross-Section and Panel Data (2002), p. 90.

Hope this helps.

--Mark

> Thanks
> menale

> Last ned MSN Messenger gratis http://www.msn.no/computing/messenger
> - Den
> raskeste veien mellom deg og dine venner

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3294
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient
you are prohibited from using any of the information contained
in this e-mail.  In such a case, please destroy all copies in
your possession and notify the sender by reply e-mail.  Heriot
Watt University does not accept liability or responsibility
for changes made to this e-mail after it was sent, or for
viruses transmitted through this e-mail.  Opinions, comments,
conclusions and other information in this e-mail that do not
relate to the official business of Heriot Watt University are
not endorsed by it.