Re: st: US state level boundary files available (messageincludes lots of text)

From   "Thomas W BRUNDAGE" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: US state level boundary files available (messageincludes lots of text)
Date   Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:52:04 -0800

I ran into problems trying to install the files.

I include a portion of the log, with my observations as commented text
(line starts with an "*"):

* Looking for the USMAPS files:

. findit usmaps

search for usmaps
                         (manual:  [R] search)

          Search:  (1) Official help files, FAQs, Examples, SJs, and
STBs
                   (2) Web resources from Stata and from other users

Search of official help files, FAQs, Examples, SJs, and STBs

Web resources from Stata and other users

(contacting http://www.stata.com)

1 package found (Stata Journal and STB listed first)

usmaps from http://fmwww.bc.edu/RePEc/bocode/u
    'USMAPS': module to provide US state map coordinates for tmap /
This
    package contains several Stata datafiles with US state / geocode
    coordinates for use with Pisati's tmap package (Stata / Journal,
4:4,
    2004). A do-file illustrates their usage.  / KW: maps / KW: states
/ KW:

(click here to return to the previous screen)

(end of search)

* Now describe it:

. ssc describe usmaps

package usmaps from http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/u

TITLE
      'USMAPS': module to provide US state map coordinates for tmap

DESCRIPTION/AUTHOR(S)

      This package contains several Stata datafiles with US state
      geocode coordinates for use with Pisati's tmap package (Stata
      Journal, 4:4, 2004). A do-file illustrates their usage.

      KW: maps
      KW: states
      KW: GIS
      KW: geocodes

      Distribution-Date: 20041216

      Author: Scott Merryman, Risk Management Agency, USDA
      Support: email [email protected]

ANCILLARY FILES                                  (type net get usmaps)
      usmaps.do
      usmap.zip
      usW_MW_Emap.zip
(type -ssc install usmaps- to install)

* It says that I can -ssc install- it:

. ssc install usmaps
nothing to install
* That does not seem to work, how about:

* Note, I issued the following command, received the "checking usmaps .
. ." message.
* I waited 10 minutes while it "checked" then hit the break button:

. net get usmaps
checking usmaps consistency and verifying not already installed...
could not copy http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/u/usmap.zip
(no action taken)
--Break--
r(1);

* OK, let's go tot the Mothership:

. net from http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode
http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/
Statistical Software Components Archive

Maintained by: Kit Baum      email: [email protected]
Boston College Economics     fax  : +1-617-552-2308
Chestnut Hill MA 02467 USA

This facility mirrors the contents of RePEc series
"Statistical Software Components," available from IDEAS
(http://ideas.uqam.ca/ideas/data/bocbocode.html) and EconPapers
(http://econpapers.hhs.se/software/bocbocode/). You are
urged to use those services' search facilities to locate components.

DIRECTORIES you could -net cd- to:
    _

* . . . and to the proper directory:

. net cd u
http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/u/
(no title)

PACKAGES you could -net describe-:
    unique            module to report number of unique values in
variable(s)
    univar            module to generate univariate summary with
box-and-whiskers plot
    univstat          module to produce summary statistics in matrix
form
    unitab            program to display a univariate table for a
binary outcome variable
    usagelog          module to log usage of Stata programs in an
existing text file
    usesas            module to use a SAS dataset
    usmaps            module to provide US state map coordinates for
tmap

*OK, USMAPS is there, but what is this USAGELOG??

. net describe usagelog

package usagelog from http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/u

TITLE
      'USAGELOG': module to log usage of Stata programs in an existing
text file

DESCRIPTION/AUTHOR(S)

      usagelog is designed for programmers who want to keep track of
      how often and, simply, how their program is being used by their
      users.  With usagelog you can log the date and time of day the
      program was started and  completed as well as what the user's
      command line looked like and any user-error code.  Usagelog
works
      in all operating systems.

      Distribution-Date: 20031020

      Author: Dan Blanchette, Carolina Population Center, University of
North Carolina - Chapel Hill
      Support: email [email protected]

INSTALLATION FILES                             (type net install
usagelog)
      usagelog.ado
      usagelog.hlp
      ../e/etime.ado
      ../e/etime.hlp

* Let us see if I can get that:

. net install usagelog
checking usagelog consistency and verifying not already installed...
installing into c:\ado\stbplus\...
installation complete.
* It works.

* How about -net install usmaps-:

. net install usmaps
nothing to install
* Nope.

* Well it says -net get- also, and USMAPS has several ZIP files . . .
* Same 10 minute wait, then the BREAK key:

. net get usmaps
checking usmaps consistency and verifying not already installed...
could not copy http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/u/usmap.zip
(no action taken)
--Break--
r(1);

* Stats on the version of Stata I am using:

. update

Stata executable
    folder:               E:\Stata8\
    name of file:         wsestata.exe
    currently installed:  06 Oct 2004

Ado-file updates
    folder:               E:\Stata8\ado\updates\
    names of files:       (various)
    currently installed:  20 Dec 2004

Recommendation
    Type -update query- to compare these dates with what is available
from
    http://www.stata.com.

Any clew on what I might be doing wrong?

thomasb

thomas brundage
statistician
Department of Human  Services