Re: st: Drawing multiple samples from a normal distribution

From   Joseph Cordes <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Drawing multiple samples from a normal distribution
Date   Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:12:26 -0500

Actually, because we don't want them to actually know the "true" means and SDs we are going to generate the samples ourselves.  Do I understand you correctly to say that each time we make a draw we need to provide a different seed?  And if the answer is yes, am I correct in assuming that the seed can be any number chosen?

----- Original Message -----
From: Marcello Pagano <[email protected]>
Date: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 11:07 am
Subject: Re: st: Drawing multiple samples from a normal distribution

> If you want to retain the ability to check your students' work,
> make
> sure they
> tell you the seed they used.  To ensure they all use different
> seeds,
> you can
> ask them to start it with their six digit birthday, then add your
> finisher.
> Just a thought.
>
> m.p.
>
> Joseph Cordes wrote:
>
> >I want to give my class a simple exercise in which each student
> is given a different sample that is drawn from the same normal
> distribution with a known mean and standard deviation, and then is
> asked to (a) calculate the sample mean, (b) do the standard
> inferences about the population mean from their estimate, (c)
> graph the different estimates of the sample mean produced in the
> class, and (d) reproduce the exercise with increasing sample size
> to demonstrate the notion of a consistent estimator.
> >
> >My question is not about (a)-(d), but about how to create the
> samples.  Am I correct that I could do this by using the following
> commands?>
> >Set obs #
> >
> >drawnorm sample1, mean(M) sds(sd)
> >
> >and then simply repeating this command substituting sample2,
> sample3, etc. in for sample 1 to generate (in my case) 25
> different samples?
> >
> >Thanks.

begin:vcard
n:Cordes;Joseph
fn:Joseph J. Cordes
tel;fax:202-994-8913
tel;work:202-994-5826
org:School of Public Policy and Public Administration;Economics and School of Public Policy and Public Administration
version:2.1
email;internet:[email protected]
title:Prof. of Economics and Associate Director
end:vcard