Re: st: RE: how to create all possible combinations for the observationsof 1-variable data

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: how to create all possible combinations for the observationsof 1-variable data
Date   Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:08:16 +0000

Alternatively, use -fillin-.

. gen var2 = var1
. fillin var1 var2

-fillin- is clearly one of the most overlooked
commands. A search of the Statalist archives
reveals lots of questions to which -fillin-
is the answer.

In an attempt to flag its prime importance,
we will carry a tip 17 in Stata Journal 5(1) 2005
on "Filling in the gaps".

In nearby terrain, check out also -egen, fill()-,
-egen, seq()- (both official Stata) and
-egen, repeat()- (-egenmore- from SSC). The last
can reproduce strings.

Ben Jann replied to Sarah Smith:

Use the -cross- command:

 . clear