st: RE: How to create data cohorts across two household survey periods? Working with pseudo-panel data...

From   "Steven Stillman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: How to create data cohorts across two household survey periods? Working with pseudo-panel data...
Date   Fri, 17 Dec 2004 02:13:27 -0500

Anirudh - If I understand you correctly, you want 'collapse PCY HCR PC ... ,
by(age education location year)'.  This will give you a new dataset w/ one
observation per year/group.  One trick to using data in this form
(especially in graphs) is to then reshape it to wide form to create one
variable per group w/ year observations.  To do this: your first need a
group variables: egen groupid = group(age education location), then reshape
wide PCY HCR PC ..., i(year) j(groupid).

Cheers,
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of
[email protected]
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 6:39 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: How to create data cohorts across two household survey
periods? Working with pseudo-panel data...

Dear All,

I have the following question:

Suppose I wanted to see how a set of observations with 3 determining
characteristics (age, education, location) evolved over two different
household
survey periods, how should I do that? I would also like to know how to
generate
the set of observations with these three primary characteristics from the
entire
data set; how to look at/link the vector of other characteristics (PCY, HCR,
PC
expd. etc) for this set of observations to get an idea of the distribution
for
this sample and then how to compare this vector of other characteristics
associated with the comparable sample in the later survey period?

I have just begun working on Stata and while I can see the logic of what I
want
to do, I am not 100% sure how to go about it. So, any help would be greatly
appreciated. Needless to add, there's always a tight deadline for these
things!

Many thanks and best regards,
Anirudh

**
Anirudh Shingal
Office of the Vice-President & Chief Economist
World Bank
1818 H Street NW
Washington DC - 20433, USA.
Tel: +1 202 458 8571