st: RE: Re: splines

From   "Dupont, William" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: splines
Date   Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:07:37 -0600

Statalisters

Our program uses restricted (natural) cubic splines.  The user can
either specify the knot values or allow the program to choose default
values.  In the latter case we use the knots advocated by Frank Harrell
in his text.

These default knot locations are determined by the percentiles of the
independent variable and are derived without regard to the independent
variable.  This has the advantage of allowing the same spline covariates
to be used in a number of different regressions with different dependent
variables.  A disadvantage is that it does not take advantage of the
y-values to determine the optimal placement of the knots.  In my
opinion, this is less important when fitting cubic splines than it is in
fitting linear splines where we have a specific interest in estimating
the location of an inflection point (and where we would like to place a
knot).

Bill Dupont