st: maps

From   "Frakt, Austin" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: maps
Date   Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:08:49 -0600

I am a regular Stata user and for a current project I have data by U.S.
state and also by U.S. county.  I would like to display these graphically in
a map (denoting the state or county value by color on the map).  Is there
any capacity for Stata to produce this type of map?  I have done it with
Excel but find the Excel tool to be less than satisfactory in a variety of
ways.  In particular, I would like to be able to control the scale of the
data-color index (so that several maps so produced have the same scale) and
to highlight certain regions (clusters of states or counties) by, for
example, drawing heavy lines around them or by inserting some white space
(sort of pulling apart the map).  I've seen data displayed in this way in
publications and find it quite nice.  Does anyone have any suggestions for
how to do this with Stata or with any other package they're familiar with?
Thanks in advance.

Austin Frakt