st: RE: how do you print a help file?

From   "Svend Juul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: how do you print a help file?
Date   Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:39:05 +0100

Nelson Lim wrote:

"This is too basic that I am embarrassed to ask.
I have been trying to print help files come with ado files I got from
SSC. Most recently, -hlm- and -stylerules-. When I print using "print
view," sentences are always cut at the right. I tried everything."

I assume that you use Windows, and that you get problems when printing from the Viewer window: Lines are cut to the right due to wrapping problems.

Don't be embarrassed; you are not alone being in trouble here. Four things (at least) influence the printout from the Viewer:
1.  The physical width of the Viewer window
2.  The font size used on the screen
3.  The font size used for printing
4.  The margins used when printing

You will need to experiment; once you found a combination that works, click:
  Prefs > Save Windowing Preferences.

1.   Modify the Viewer window width with the mouse. IMPORTANT: Click the Viewer[Refresh] button to make things align right.
2.   Control the screen font size: Click the upper left corner button in the Viewer window.
3,4. When printing you get the "Printer Settings" dialog. Click the [Prefs...] button and select margins and font for printing.

This should be done once and for all. If you, by accident or intentionally, modified the Viewer window width, restore your default choice by:
  Prefs > Load Windowing Preferences.

Now all is well - or maybe it isn't. In my experience Stata tends to forget my chosen margins; to get it right I must, in the "Printer Settings" dialog click [Prefs...], then [OK], and then [OK] again. I speculate that the origin of that problem is that I use the international A4 paper format while Stata (unless I activate the [Prefs...]) believes that I use the local US Letter paper format.

I hope this helps.

Svend Juul

Svend Juul
Institut for Epidemiologi og Socialmedicin
(Dept. Epidemiology and Social Medicine)
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000 Aarhus C,  Denmark
Phone, work:  +45 8942 6090
Phone, home:  +45 8693 7796