st: RE: how do you print a help file?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: how do you print a help file?
Date   Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:25:19 -0000

This has featured in the archives.

There are at least three answers here.

First, the fancy formatting you refer
to is SMCL and is responsible for much of
the more attractive aspects of Stata output
and help files. What's more, there are very
good reasons why Stata can't use other formats
such as HTML as a universal standard for its
own documents. But no one intends that raw
SMCL is very readable, any more or less than
raw HTML or TeX.

Second, converting a help file from SMCL
to HTML is possible with -log2html-, after
which it's between you and whatever you would
like to use to print HTML.

Third, I have had good results, so long as I
resize the help window to be narrow enough,
with copying and pasting to other applications,
although all special formatting is lost.

Lim, Nelson