Re: st: Re: Factor analysis and dummy variables.

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Factor analysis and dummy variables.
Date   Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:43:21 -0500

Hi all,

I've tried the polychoric procedure this week-end.
Not only it is too long to produce final results (it takes
a whole day for each data set) but it is also skewed.
Not as much as the traditional Filmer-Pritchett method,
but skewed nonetheless. My distribution obtained is far
from the normal.

Whether to include or not education of head depends
really of the tastes of the analyst. I know some people who
used to include it. I do not usually.
Macro Inc. people who produce the DHS data also include
sometimes domestic presence as an asset variable.

I do not know what other stata users may think of this question.

Best regards.

Amadou.

                      Dale Larson
                      <[email protected]>           To:       [email protected]
                      Sent by:                         cc:
                      owner-statalist@hsphsun2.        Subject:  Re: st: Re: Factor analysis and dummy variables.
                      harvard.edu

                      12/11/2004 04:47 PM
                      Please respond to
                      statalist

Friedrich,

Is not "human capital" an asset?  And is not education an indicator of the
size of that asset?

Whether human capital should be included in a wealth index depends on the
particular definition of wealth that is of interest.

Dale Larson