st: RE: Measuring association between nominal variables: Interpreting lambda

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Measuring association between nominal variables: Interpreting lambda
Date   Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:37:21 -0000

-lambda- uses Stata's matrix language; so the
limits are those of your Stata in handling matrices,
as indicated by the help for -limits-. Long before
those limits bite, the idea of mapping any very
large contingency to single measure of association
will have become moot.

The help for -lambda- points to the original paper
by Goodman and Kruskal in JASA 1954. I imagine that
there is at least one copy in a Harvard library.
Failing that, or in any case, you may be able to access a copy
via http://www.jstor.org .