st: RE: trinomial confidence interval

From   "FEIVESON, ALAN H. (AL) (JSC-SK) (NASA)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: trinomial confidence interval
Date   Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:23:21 -0600

One quick and dirty approach is to use the bivariate normal approximation to
the joint distribution of two of the proportion estimates (the third is
determined form the other two).

Suppose you have p1_hat = y1bar, p2_hat=y2bar based on n observations, where
(y1, y2, y3) is trinomial with cell probabilities p1, p2 and 1-p1-p2
(y1+y2+y3=1). Then

E(p1_hat)=p1
E(p2_hat)=p2
V(p1_hat)=p1*(1-p1)/n
V(p2_hat)=p2*(1-p2)/n
Cov(p1_hat, p2_hat) = -p1*p2/n

Then use the confidence ellipsoid for this bivariate normal as an
approximate confidence region for (p1, p2).

Clearly, this only makes sense if p1, p2 and 1-p1-p2 are not "close" to 0 or
1 in terms of the standard errors of p1_hat, p2_hat and p1_hat+p2_hat.

A Bayesian approach is another alternative.

Al Feiveson