st: Computing averages per good per country

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Computing averages per good per country
Date   Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:35:39 +0100

Dear all,

I am looking for the easiest way to compute averages per good per country.
My a dataset looks about the following:

Article 1	US	10
Article 1	FR	15
Article 1	FR	20
Article 1	UK	10
Article 1	UK	18
�
Article 2	US	10
Article 2	US	15
Article 2	UK	20
Article 2	UK	10

In other words, I have prices for different goods, originating from
different countries. I am interested in the average price for each of the
goods per country, i.e. the average price charged for article 1 in the US,
the average for article 1 in France, in the UK; similarly for article 2
etc. A complication is that for a number of goods I only have observations
for a subset of countries, and the number of observations varies good and
country (e.g. for article 1 I have, say, 5 observations from Greece, but
none from Italy, whereas for good 3 I have ten observations from Italy, but
none from the US or France).

So far I've only been able to come up with relatively clumsy solutions, so
help is greatly appreciated,

Philipp

Zon Gratis ADSL. De voordelen van gratis internet met de snelheid van
ADSL. Zonder abonnementskosten en zonder vast contract. Je betaalt
alleen voor de tijd online. Nu zonder aansluitkosten en met gratis
modem. Bestel snel op zonnet.nl.