st: Interpreting svyintreg coefficients

From   "Reza Daniels" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Interpreting svyintreg coefficients
Date   Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:33:20 -0800

Dear Statalisters,

I have a question concerning how we interpret the coefficients from
-svyintreg-. I have consulted the Statalist archives (I found somebody else
who asked this question, but no replies to it) & faq's, the Stata help files
and the -SVY- manual, and have not found an answer.

My (limited) understanding of the coefficients of -svyintreg- is that they
are not directly interpretable because they are based on a pseudo-likelihood
estimation procedure. Thus, the coefficients predict the effects of changes
in the exogenous variables on the latent variable y*. Consequently,
interpretation is restricted to effect-size and direction.

My question is: can we not calculate the marginal effects at the mean /
media for a specific group of people, thereby giving a more direct
interpretation to the coefficients? If not, why not?

Thanks,
Reza