st: new commands

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: new commands
Date   Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:11:03 -0500

Ronnie said

"Most of the "add-ons" show up in the Statistical Software Components
(SSC) archive. On a monthly basis someone is kind enough to post a list
of packages downloaded and the frequency. I have personally found this
really helpful and its one way for me to know whats new (and hot), I
typically run through the top 20 and ssc describe them and if I find
something new and interesting then I install (there is some correlation
between number of downloads and usefulness..or is it that this is
captures the vogue effect)."

You need not wait for my monthly posting of activity (and in any case the most popular materials are often the same, month to month). Just use "ssc whatsnew" from within Stata and you will get an accurate-to-the-minute list of the stuff added *OR MODIFIED* in the last 30 days. Knowing what has been modified is useful if you have installed an earlier version to take advantage of bugfixes or enhancements.

You may also look at this info via the web,
http://repec.org/docs/ssc.php

which accesses the same information set (actually -ssc whatsnew- runs a variation on the PHP script and formats the result as SMCL rather than HTML). The web version makes the distinction between new content ("Created") and revisions ("Revised"). But ssc whatsnew is better if you are already running Stata, since you can immediately issue other ssc commands to get the stuff.

Several updates are awaiting my attention today, so the result of either of these enquiries will change later this afternoon EST.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html

*
* For searches and help try: