st: Re: existence proof

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: existence proof
Date   Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:41:01 -0500

With the widespread use of web email clients and IMAP servers (which store all mail on the server), there is no reason why a user of a public access facility would have any space available on a public workstation. In our university, the IT folks have implemented a webDAV facility that allows members of the community to store files (up to 1 Gb) on such a server (same concept and technology as Apple's iDisk with .mac), but one cannot tell Stata to place that space on the adopath. Nevertheless I agree with the basic premise: as restrictive as access rights on a Windows XP box may be, if a user can log on, she can presumably write files to some temporary directory.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html