Re: new commands to install (was st: ATE in stata 7, matching)

From   "Ronnie Babigumira" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: new commands to install (was st: ATE in stata 7, matching)
Date   Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:15:52 +0100

>>> [email protected] 08.12.2004 12:30:56 >>>
Dear all,
- snip-
Are there any other new commands you would recommend to install?

Most of the "add-ons" show up in the Statistical Software Components
(SSC) archive. On a monthly basis someone is kind enough to post a list
of packages downloaded and the frequency. I have personally found this
really helpful and its one way for me to know whats new (and hot), I
typically run through the top 20 and ssc describe them and if I find
something new and interesting then I install (there is some correlation
between number of downloads and usefulness..or is it that this is
captures the vogue effect).

Otherwise, the best way is on a need to basis. Everytime u feel
something you are doing could be done easier, chances are that someone
has written something to do this so do a quick search or findit with an
informative keyword (this is probably easier and more helpful
considering there are over 800 pkgs you could install). The other tip is
that if u find a routine in textbooks and its not yet implmented in
stata, again, chances are that some jolly good fellow has written
something.

Finally, look out for emails that start with "Thanks to Kit Baum....has
been added to the archive"...run through the mail and see if this ....
is something u could use

Ronnie