Re: st: various updates: Statalist FAQ and SSC

From   "Eric G. Wruck" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: various updates: Statalist FAQ and SSC
Date   Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:44:34 -0500

I took a quick look at the Statalist FAQ but didn't see any guidance on something I find mildly irritating: the practice of altering the subject line.  Somehow, some people can respond to a message without generating a "Re: " to the original subject.  Others take it upon themselves to alter the original subject to something else, generally more informative.  In either event, it makes it harder for the subscriber to identify the original posting & subsequent responses.  Comments please.

Thanks,

Eric

>Statalist FAQ
>=============
>
>Thanks to Lisa Gilmore at StataCorp, the
>Statalist FAQ has been updated. We've added
>advice about
>
>* majordomo's habit of occasionally chopping
>first lines
>
>* giving full references to sources cited
>
>As Stata and Statalist grow, the number of
>things that might be interesting or useful
>to members also grows. The perverse effect
>seems to be that many members decide that
>they are too busy to study the Statalist FAQ
>carefully. We did recently take a little axe
>to some stuff about older releases of Stata,
>but it's difficult to stop the FAQ growing
>slowly.
>
>However, it does answer many of the questions
>that arise either on Statalist itself or in
>private correspondence with Marcello Pagano,
>myself or other experienced people.
>
>Please do read it before posting, as it may
>save you (and others) time and misunderstanding.
>
>The URL as always is beneath my signature.
>
>SSC: -triplot-
>==============
>
>Thanks to Kit Baum, -triplot- has been updated,
>fixing a bug.
>
>Nick
>[email protected]
>
>*