re: Re: st: Configuring Data to percentage ratios

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   re: Re: st: Configuring Data to percentage ratios
Date   Sat, 4 Dec 2004 19:57:09 -0600

Pharmacology journals, at least in the past, allowed you to divide individual
fluorescence values in each of the drug groups by the mean of the control group
values as the divisor, and then calculate SEs or SDs from the quotients. This
treats the control group's mean as if it were fixed, known. It gives an SE
that is symmetric about the ratio of the means.

This is still allowed. I would love to read a reference in which it is shown to hurt rather than help. Being in a pharmacology department but coming from other fields, the practice bothers me.

Especially in pharmacology people are concerned about relative effects--"fold above control" is a common phrase.

"Fieller's theorem" comes up here too:

http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?pkequiv

I'm still Googling...

*