st: Constant term in fixed effect regression (xtreg,fe)

From   Sunil W <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Constant term in fixed effect regression (xtreg,fe)
Date   Thu, 2 Dec 2004 07:45:19 -0800 (PST)

Thanks to Nick and Scott for replying to my earlier
post. I have a couple of more questions regarding the
fixed effects model:

One, how do I interpret the constant term in the
output when I run the xtreg, fe command. I understand
that the fixed effects model should give me a separate
constant terms for every group, but I get only a
single constant. Is that an average of all the group
specific constants?

Two, what algorithm does stata use in the xtreg,fe
command? Is it MLE or GLS or plain OLS? Also, what
would be a good website to read in detail about the
various algorithms behind the stata commands?

Thanks