st: RE: Re: 'Transposing' data- follow up question

From   "David Harrison" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: 'Transposing' data- follow up question
Date   Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:04:29 -0000

Owing to the current shortcomings with ESP, I will assume you have the regions coded in some kind of string variable (say 'region')...?

In this case, you can create a region number variable ('regnum') with

encode region, gen(regnum)

The missing regions do not pose a problem to -reshape- (unless they are missing from all companies, but then I guess you wouldn't care about them). They will come through as missing rather than zero, so you might want to recode these afterwards using -recode- or -mvencode-.

David
[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Blasnik [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 01 December 2004 16:49
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Re: 'Transposing' data- follow up question

If the data are in order by region within company, then you can just
generate the region variable as:

bysort company: gen int region=_n

But if there are missing regions in the middle of the data for a company,
then Stata would need ESP to determine which observations correspond to
which regions.  I don't think ESP will be available until Stata 11 :)

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]