Re: st: Dummy question

From   Ernest Berkhout <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Dummy question
Date   Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:53:33 +0100

As I see no responses yet, i give it a try. Quit some years ago i did something similar according to the famous Krueger&Summers (1988) article on industry wage differentials. In short, it is just taking the (weighted) average of all the dummies for a variable (say: industry) including the omitted category which has a value of zero. That is the average against which all coefficients can be measured:

gen differential = estimate - average_estimate.

But in practice it is more complicated, especially when you want to establish significance using standard errors. You need some type of adjustment there. You might want to look that up in the Krueger&Summers article.
If Javier decides to go that way i can send him -privately- my applied do-files from that time. They are however case-specific, and lack the five extra years of Stata knowledge that i have gained since then... :-)