st: RE: RE: RE: Error with -update all-

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: Error with -update all-
Date   Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:19:59 -0000

The transactions between your machine and the
outside world are mediated by caching, i.e.
crudely, files frequently requested can be held
on some machine between you and their source.

Working from a machine in Britain I frequently
notice that Stata has issued an -update- but that
my machine can't yet see it. The delay can be of
the order of a few days. This is all to do with
caching somewhere between me and StataCorp (in
Atlantis, to be precise).

In short, no bug here.

It is true that late in the cycle of a particular release
a total -update- can involve _lots_ of files. No
doubt, updating could be managed quite differently;
the way it is managed at present means that users
type the bare minimum and need worry about
nothing; I doubt that would be true of other
arrangements.

Richard Palmer-Jones