RE: st: -factor- with binary variables

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: -factor- with binary variables
Date   Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:05:41 -0000

It is somewhat orthogonal to the main question
but the historical remarks here are perhaps misleading.

Karl Pearson put a lot of effort not only
into what we now call the Pearson correlation
coefficient but also into seeking ways of getting
at (analogues of) correlations in situations where the
data came as binary variables (for example).

Patricia seems be to seeking a technical answer to
this question, but the reverse question is to
ask her whether she thinks underneath
her indicators there are continuous latent variables,
which make sense in scientific terms, in which
case she appears close to Pearson.

I agree with Clive that if factor analysis is no
good here, principal component analysis will be no
better, as the distinction between them is not based
on the data input.

Clive Nicholas replied to Patricia Sourdin