RE: st: Using the word "From" at the beginning of the sentence [was: Modelling two binary outcomes that are not mutually exclusive by Murray Finkelstein]

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Using the word "From" at the beginning of the sentence [was: Modelling two binary outcomes that are not mutually exclusive by Murray Finkelstein]
Date   Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:52:04 -0000

This thread is most interesting but degenerating into
impractical questions.

I didn't correct earlier loose talk about the "Statalist
parser" partly because it might have seemed pedantic,
which I never am. But as Marcello said, Statalist
is run by the majordomo program, which is somebody else's
software, not "ours". A quick Google reveals an FAQ

http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/majordomo-faq.html

So,

1. it's possible in principle that somebody on
Statalist is a real majordomo expert and may be
able to answer questions about it, but otherwise
there is little point in airing questions here.

2. there's no practical possibility of anybody
connected with Statalist opening up the code of
majordomo, trying to find bugs or misfeatures,
and fixing them.

Quite a few of us have experienced random
chopping of first lines. If the message is
thereby rendered incomprehensible it seems
to me fair enough to re-send it rewritten
with a first line offered for sacrifice.

If any of us discovers good advice about
first lines we'll make sure that is publicised.

Marc F. Bellemare

> I also noticed that yesterday when I replied to Nestor
> Gandelman's email
> about initial values. I had started my email with "Nestor:",
> and for some
> reason that first line got (randomly) chopped off. In my
> second email on
> the topic, however, everything was fine. Any idea whether
> this occurs on
> all systems using Majordomo?

Marcello Pagano

> I wish I knew what you guys are talking about.  There is no
> such thing as a
> Statalist parser, nor is it hosted by Stata Corp. Statalist
> is hosted here at
> the School of Public Health; always has been.
>
> As far as I can tell, Majordomo, the software package that
> runs the list,
> randomly decides to chop off first lines.  We have not been
> able to figure out a pattern

Richard Williams