Re: st: Modelling two binary outcomes that are not mutually exclusive

From   Ron�n Conroy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Modelling two binary outcomes that are not mutually exclusive
Date   Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:13:17 +0000

SamL wrote:

I don't understand why you wouldn't use a bivariate probit model. It is
my understanding that this model is designed for 2 binary outcomes. The
error terms in the two equations are allowed to be correlated (the
correlation is estimated). Many people use this with one equation being a
"selection" equation, but that is not required. If I understand your
issue correctly, this would be an appropriate model--not multinomial
logit.

I want a relative risk ratio - that is, I want the comparison group for the two models to be the group who have no diagnosis. This isn't what bivariate probit models do, is it? (Please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm not familiar with them)

--

Ronan M Conroy ([email protected]) Senior Lecturer in Biostatistics Royal College of Surgeons Dublin 2, Ireland +353 1 402 2431 (fax 2764) -------------------- Just say no to drug reps http://www.nofreelunch.org/

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/