st: RE: RE: Parsing not-quite-standard syntax

From   "David E Moore" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: RE: Parsing not-quite-standard syntax
Date   Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:18:21 -0800

When defining a program, the -if- and -in- expressions are intended as qualifiers to the program being defined and not solely to a
statement or program embedded within it.  Thus, logically, any variables mentioned in either clause must be present in the current
working dataset.  If you want to create and apply an -if- expression or an -in- clause to another program or statement running
within your program, then you need to obtain the relevant varlists and/or expressions via options.  An example might be:

program define foo
  syntax [name] [if] [in], [, useif(string) usein(string) opt1 opt2 *]
  /* do something */
end

If program "foo" has no need for -if- or -in- itself, then you are free to use these names as options.  Actually, I don't see why
you can't use the -in- clause either way, but it seems less prone to confusion to make it a separate option.  Moreover, you may need
to perform the error checking of the values passed via -if- and -in- yourself, since any variables referenced in the -if- expression
*will* need to exist at the time the call to -use- is issued.

I hope that explanation wasn't too convoluted.  Perhaps, you might receive a more elegant solution to your problem if you provided a
little more detail concerning how you would -use- -if- with nonexistent variables.  I mean, if they are not present in the current
working dataset, what's to keep you qua programmer from using any name you wish and hard coding that name in your program?