Re: st: Is there a way to use ivreg2 without running the first stage

From   Mark Schaffer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], Gregory Dybalski <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Is there a way to use ivreg2 without running the first stage
Date   Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:29:49 +0000 (GMT)

Greg,

Quoting Gregory Dybalski <[email protected]>:

> Prof. Mark E. Schaffer,
>
> Again, I appreciate your assistance.  I'm sorry if my prior
> submission was unclear.
>
> The fitted values, fittedt1 & fittedt2, are obtained from the
> regression of the endogenous regressor on the included and excluded
> variables.  To obtain these estimates I  use,
> xtreg y1 x1 x2 z1 z2, fe
> The predicted values from this regression are then interacted with the
> year dummy variables to obtain the variables fittedt1 and fittedt2. A
> similar interaction is done for the y1 variables to obtain y1_t1  y1_t2.
>
> These values are used in the instrumental variable estimation.
> ivreg2 y x1 x2 (y1_t1  y1_t2 =  fittedt1  fittedt2)

If I understand correctly, you can think of the two procedures as variations
of how to use your instruments x1, x2, z1, z2, and t.

In the procedure I suggested, you interact 3 variables - t, with z1 and z2 -
to get two more excluded IVs to add to your original 4 IVs (x1, x2, z1 and
z2).  These are multiplicative (i.e., nonlinear) interactions.  The first
stage of 2SLS gets you linear projections of y1_t1 and y1_t2 on these 6
variables (plus a constant).

In your procedure, you regress y1 on x1, x2, z1, and z2, and get yhat (say).
 yhat is a linear combination of these 4 IVs (plus a constant).  You then
interact this linear combination with t to get two new variables that are
now nonlinear combinations of the original 5 variables (x1, x2, z1, x2, and
t).  The first stage of 2SLS then gets you linear projections of y1_t1 and
y1_t2 on 4 variables: these 2 nonlinear combinations plus x1 and x2 (and
again a constant).

The parallel that you raised with IV and probit seems to me to be a good
one.  The motivation there was to use a probit to generate nonlinear
combinations of variables that are superior instruments because they are
better predictors - are more "relevant" in the first-stage regression - than
using the variables separately to get linear projections as in standard IV.

I think the same thing is going on here - if your procedure gives you a
first-stage regression (where you assess "relevance") that looks superior to
the procedure that I suggested, then there's no reason why you shouldn't use
it.  Of course, it might instead give you a first-stage regression that
looks worse. :)

Cheers,
Mark

> [...]
>
> >first stage fitted values for the the excluded IVs, but excluded
> >exogenous variables never get "fitted" when you do 2SLS - what
> would
> >you regress z1 and z2 on?
> >
> >--Mark
> >
> >> This method should also provide suitable estimates.
> >>
> >> I have reviewed some of the past postings to the Stata list and
> found
> >> this method proposed when the endogenous regression was based on
> >> probit model.   I assume that your proposed method and this
> alternative
> >> would result in suitable estimates.  Is there any reason to
> prefer
> one
> >> method over another.  For example, using your method would
> provide
> >> meaningful output for the test statistics regarding the
> overidenfying
> >> restrictions.
> >>
> >> Greg Dybalski

> which
> somewhat
> more.

> be

> if
> you

> one
> suppose
> endog

> two

> such
> IVs,

> example

> running
> >> the first stage

> >> endogenous
> model
> >> is
> correcting
> for
> of

> for
> the
> >> RHS
> simplest
> >> way
> first-stage
> >> and
> for
> the
> >> original
> remaining
> is
> use
> there
> >> way
> >> endogenous
> that
> >> could

> using
> properly

> >> *
> >> *   For searches and help try:
> >> *   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html
> >> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> >> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
> >
> >Prof. Mark E. Schaffer
> >Director
> >Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation
> >Department of Economics
> >School of Management & Languages
> >Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS  UK

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3008
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient
you are prohibited from using any of the information contained
in this e-mail.  In such a case, please destroy all copies in
your possession and notify the sender by reply e-mail.  Heriot
Watt University does not accept liability or responsibility
for changes made to this e-mail after it was sent, or for
viruses transmitted through this e-mail.  Opinions, comments,
conclusions and other information in this e-mail that do not
relate to the official business of Heriot Watt University are
not endorsed by it.