st: Is there a way to use ivreg2 without running the first stage

From   "Gregory Dybalski" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Is there a way to use ivreg2 without running the first stage
Date   Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:35:14 -0500

Prof. Mark E. Schaffer,

Again, I appreciate your assistance.  I'm sorry if my prior submission
was unclear.

The fitted values, fittedt1 & fittedt2, are obtained from the
regression of the endogenous regressor on the included and excluded
variables.  To obtain these estimates I  use,
xtreg y1 x1 x2 z1 z2, fe
The predicted values from this regression are then interacted with the
year dummy variables to obtain the variables fittedt1 and fittedt2.  A
similar interaction is done for the y1 variables to obtain y1_t1
y1_t2.

These values are used in the instrumental variable estimation.
ivreg2 y x1 x2 (y1_t1  y1_t2 =  fittedt1  fittedt2)

Sincerely,

Greg Dybalski

>Greg,
>
>Date sent:       Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:31:59 -0500
>From:            "Gregory Dybalski" <[email protected]>
>To:              <[email protected]>
>Subject:         st: Is there a way to use ivreg2 without running the
first stage
> regression?
>Send reply to:   [email protected]
>
>> Prof. Mark E. Schaffer,
>>
>>  I appreciate your reply, it was quite helpful.  Your method should
>> work.
>>
>> I have an similar alternative method that I would like you to
comment
>> on.  I referred to the archaic '2SLS' method because I am switching
from
>> Limdep (ver 8), which, in fact, forces the user to perform IV
estimation
>> in two steps.  I originally estimated the model in Limdep because it
had
>> a procedure to estimate a fixed effects model using IV that corrects
for
>> autocorrelation.  Your recent changes to the ivreg2 procedure now
>> provide for such estimation.
>>
>> Background
>>
>> You correctly stated the basic model that I want to estimate using
>> Stata,
>> ivreg2 y x1 x2 (y1=z1 z2)
>>
>> I have 17 years of data for each group and want to examine if the
>> coefficient for the y1 variable is different for earlier years than
the
>> later years.  To estimate this revised model in Limdep I created 4
>> variables: y1_t1 & y1_t2 (the interaction between y1 and the dummy
>> variable for the time periods) and fittedt1 & fittedt2 (the
interaction
>> between the estimated 1st stage values and the dummy variable for
the
>> time periods).  I used Limdep regression command with 2 endogenous
>> regressors and their fitted values.
>>
>> To estimate this model in Stata you suggested that I create
additional
>> variables by interacting the y1 and the excluded instruments with a
>> dummy variable.  Your method interacts the excluded instruments with
the
>> dummy variable but does not interact the included exogenous
variables,
>> x1 & x2, with the dummy.  Your method & mine will not result in the
same
>> estimated values, but I am not sure that it matters.
>
>It's entirely up to you.  If you think that the coefficients on x1
>and x2 may also have changed, then you can also interact these with
>the time dummy, then test etc.  Or if you want to maintain the
>assumed constancy of these coefficients, then don't interact.
>
>> Proposed Alternative Method
>>
>> I have an alternative method that I would like you to comment on.
What
>> happens if I substitute the '1st stage' fitted values for the
excluded
>> exogenous variables in the ivreg2 command instead of the z1 and z2
>> variables?  The ivreg2 command would then become,
>> ivreg2 y x1 x2 (y1_t1  y1_t2 =  fittedt1  fittedt2)
>
>I don't understand what fittedt1 and fittedt2 are.  You call them the

>first stage fitted values for the the excluded IVs, but excluded
>exogenous variables never get "fitted" when you do 2SLS - what would
>you regress z1 and z2 on?
>
>--Mark
>
>> This method should also provide suitable estimates.
>>
>> I have reviewed some of the past postings to the Stata list and
found
>> this method proposed when the endogenous regression was based on a
>> probit model.   I assume that your proposed method and this
alternative
>> would result in suitable estimates.  Is there any reason to prefer
one
>> method over another.  For example, using your method would provide
>> meaningful output for the test statistics regarding the
overidenfying
>> restrictions.
>>
>> Greg Dybalski
>>
>> >Gregory,
>> >
>> >I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking for.
>> >
>> >ivreg2 does standard IV.  Internally, there is only one stage,
which
>> >I suppose is standard for packages these days - "2SLS" is a
somewhat
>> >archaic term and it isn't common to do IV in two steps any more.
>> >
>> >In any case, if it's standard IV that you want to do, you should be

>> >able to write down a model that can be estimate in one stage; if
you
>> >can't, then it isn't IV.
>> >
>> >In your case, say for example you have two periods.  You have one
>> >endogenous variable and a set of excluded instruments that I
suppose
>> >are also time-varying.  You want to know if the coeff on the endog

>> >regressor changes over time.  What's wrong with the following?
>> >
>> >- say the equation in the original form has 3 regressors, one of
>> >which is endogenous, and 2 excluded instruments:
>> >
>> >ivreg2 y x1 x2 (y1=z1 z2)
>> >
>> >- Interact your endog regressor y1 with time so that you have two
>> >such regressors, y1_t1 and y1_t2
>> >
>> >- Interact your excluded instruments with time to get four such
IVs,