Re: st: Run time for GLLAMM multilevel modeling

Subject   Re: st: Run time for GLLAMM multilevel modeling
Date   Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:46:22 -0500

That's true, the multiprocessor feature thus far is relatively useless
for Stata, although I heard that Stata Corp. has been looking into
multithreading some of  their code. A UNIX cluster however can provide
the reliability and uptime measured in months rather than in hours for
a Windows machine. Besides, if one is estimating five or ten models in
-gllamm-, that can easily be put into separate do-files thus using
multiple processors more efficiently.

I also know that our university fastest cluster is about three times
faster than my laptop, which is a considerable factor here. But all
that needs exploring for one's particular computational opportunities,
of course.

Stas

--
Stas Kolenikov