st: Re: printing problems: Graph in Word (Stata 8)

From   Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: printing problems: Graph in Word (Stata 8)
Date   Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:01:33 -0800 (PST)

EMF and WMF files have the advantage of being vector graphics that
can be scaled without loss of quality. This is not true for PNG and
TIF graphs. The difference in quality can be demonstrated by using
the commands below to create a set of four graphs. Import the graphs
into your word processor of choice, set the page format to landscape,
and rescale the graphs so that they fill the page. The EMF and WMF
graphs look clearly better.

. sysuse auto
. scatter mpg weight, graphregion(lcolor(black))
. graph export graph.wmf
. graph export graph.emf
. graph export graph.png
. graph export graph.tif

These graphs also demonstrate one difference between EMF and WMF. The
EMF graph is surrounded by a border about 2 mm wide at full size; the
other three graphs do not have such a border. This problem was
demonstrated in the past
(http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2003-12/msg00332.html) but no
fix has been provided. For this reason I continue to use WMF graphs
although EMF is allegedly the superior format.

Friedrich Huebler