Stata The Stata listserver
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date index][Thread index]

Re: st: RE: Graphing limitations / questions


From   "b. water" <barleywater@hotmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: RE: Graphing limitations / questions
Date   Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:18:13 +0000

dear statalisters,

perhaps this is not an appropriate response to fredik's graphing problem but maybe i can say my piece too as a kind of christmas wish list for stata corp to consider in their future versions (or even as an update to 8.2). i often do meta-analysis using metan command in stata. what i would like to do however, once i have the forest plot, and the summary point (with its confidence intervals), is to put this summary point together with other summary points (from other meta-analysis) onto another forest plot so that visual comparison can be made.

for example, we want to graphically visualised the comparison of odds ratios from individual meta-analyses of thrombolytics, angioplasty and stenting. at the moment my approach is to do the meta-analysis in stata then use arcus to do the comparison plotting. i wish i can do this in stata with the various ancillary options made available too (e.g. dots, boxes, diamond for point estimate, different colors of graphs, backgrounds and lines - where stata excels). however, at present, i don't think stata is able to do this and hence the wish list.

apology if this post seems off topic.

kind regards,
bw



From: Fredrik Wallenberg <fwallenberg@gmail.com>
Reply-To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: st: RE: Graphing limitations / questions
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 07:52:47 -0800

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:22:44 -0000, Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk> wrote:
> Fredrik Wallenberg
>
> > I have a few graphs that I cannot seem to create using Stata 8.
> > Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction (or confirm that
> > it can't be done ... without creating a new dataset).
> >
> > I have two multiple choice survey questions. I would like to visualize
> > the combinations of the answers in one out of three ways.
> >
> > A) Use a scatterplot but use the area of each coordinate dot to
> > illustrate how many observations there are for that combination. The
> > best I've done to date is using matrix and scatter, but that doesn't
> > quite do it.
> >
> > graph matrix q3_3_4 q3_3_3, half jitter(3) msize(tiny)
>
> > ... I can see how I could do A by creating a variable that had,
> > as the weight, the total count for each combination and then us that
> > as the aweight. Is there a nicer way?
>
> As you say you could -- and should -- create a weight.
>
> bysort q3_3_4 q_3_3 : gen N = _N
> egen tag =tag(q_3_3_4 q_3_3)
> scatter q_3_4 q_3_3 [w = N] if tag
>
> > B) Use a 3 dimensional histogram (with the two variables and the x and
> > z axis and the join distribution on the y axis). This can easily be
> > done in Excel, why not in Stata?
>
> Why not? Partly because most people who want to do this can do it easily
> in Excel, I imagine... But it's clearly a reasonable thing to want.

That is a rather bad argument since you can easily to barcharts,
scatterplots etc in Excel :-)

>
> > C) use -histogram, by-, BUT get ONE graph, treating the -by- options
> > as separate variables in the same graph. Once again this seems like a
> > reasonable thing to do but Stata doesn't have any support for it (that
> > I can tell).
>
> You mean you want them superimposed?

yes, similar to a set of bar charts. Once again I guess I could do
someting about collapsing the data and actually use bar charts.

>
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html
> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>
*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
_________________________________________________________________
Donít just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html
* http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/




© Copyright 1996–2014 StataCorp LP   |   Terms of use   |   Privacy   |   Contact us   |   What's new   |   Site index