st: op sys refuses to provide memory

From   Javi Garcia <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: op sys refuses to provide memory
Date   Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:22:08 +0900

   Is it posible for someone to help me please. I am running Stata SE
8.2 under Windows XP. Recently I paid for much memory to try to have
more memory available in Stata. Actually I have 3.7 Gigabytes of
memory. When I click "About" in Stata, it says "Total Physical Memory
2097151 KB Available Physical Memory 2097151 KB". (In Control Panel it
says correctly that I have 3.71 GB RAM).
   When I do even "set mem 900m" in Stata, it tells me "op.sys refuses
to provide memory; r(909)". The maximum that I can achieve is 874m. I
know that Windows is trying to obtain the largest contiguous area of
memory. I have read the good article 'How do I load large datasets
(>1Gb) under Windows?' by Kevin S. Turner from Oct. 2001, but frankly
it does not help a Windows user very much.
   Is there a way to solve this problem?
   Many thanks for your help,
     Javi Garcia